Thank you for taking our quiz! Check your answers below to see how much you know about Juneteenth and visit us at the International African American Museum in Charleston, South Carolina when we open in 2022 to learn more!
1. Correct – Correct answer is C! Galveston, Texas was where the first Juneteenth celebration took place.
2. Correct – Correct answer is D! 2.5 years passed between the Emancipation Proclamation going into effect and the Union Army’s arrival in Texas to announce it.
3. Correct – Correct answer is B! 200,000 Black men enlisted in the Union Army to fight for freedom between the Emancipation Proclamation and the announcement of freedom in Texas.
4. Correct – Correct answer is C! Strawberry soda has become synonymous with Juneteenth celebration.
5. Correct – Correct answer is D! Juneteenth became an official Texas state holiday in 1980.
You got #/5 correct!